When carving your family’s pumpkins this year don’t just throw away all the mush! Simply pull out the pumpkin seeds and follow the recipe below to share a healthy and delicious snack with your kids.
* 2 Cups Pumpkin Seeds
* 1 Quart Water
* 2 Tablespoons salt
* 1 Tablespoon Melted Butter or Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees
2. Bring water and salt to a boil. Add the seeds and boil for 8 to 10 minutes
3. Drain the seeds in a colander and spread them on a paper towel to dry.
4. Melt the butter. Put the dry seeds and butter in a large bowl and toss until the seeds are evenly coated.
5. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until they reach a light, golden brown color. Stir seeds every 10 minutes during cooking.
7. Cool the seeds completely before eating.
You can remove the hulls from the seeds after roasting or eat the seeds hull and all. Keep roasted seeds in airtight containers.
Gardening Tip: Set a few seeds aside before roasting. These free seeds will start next year’s pumpkin patch.
If you prefer to have visual directions, then check out this cute video from Maholo Daily