Is it a pie? Nope. It is a cake that looks like a pie! Last week I hosted a Baby Shower BBQ for one of my besties, and when it came time to pick a dessert, I turned to my fellow bloggers for inspiration. The Funambulist Damsel had the most adorable pie cupcakes, that I knew would make the perfect dessert for the BBQ. Before I left for the store to get the necessary ingredients, I raided my cupboards to see what I needed. I came across my pie pan and a light bulb went off in this noggin of mine. I would make a cake that looked like a pie! Better yet, a cake, with fresh fruit, that looked like a pie. I used Yellow cake with this “pie,” but any cake would do, with the fresh fruit of your choice. I was a little worried about the cake getting soggy from the strawberry’s juicy goodness, but it didn’t turn out to be a problem at all. In fact, the cake was absolutely delicious, with the perfect combination of ingredients. I am not a baker by trade, but it turned out great.
How to Pie your Cake...
- Pick out your favorite cake mix and prepare as directed
- Bake in pie pan of choice (you may need to cook a tad but longer than directed–depending on the pan)
- Let the cake cool
- Cut the excess cake off the top of the pie if necessary (depending on how much it rises) to make sure you have enough room for the yummy fruit
- Put a thin layer of frosting over the top of the cake (see frosting mixture below)
- Place prepared fruit of choice over the cake
- Place frosting in a ziplock baggy or pastry bag with attachment (slice a 1/2 inch slit at the bottom–starting in the corner and then inward on the bottom of the baggy–in order to create the “crust”)
- Then cover the fruit with your “crust” frosting
- Finish up by frosting around the edges and, voila! The perfect pie!
Frosting: Select the frosting of your choice (I used store-bought Butter Cream by Betty C.) and add a few drops of yellow food coloring and 1 1/2 Teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa. (you can manipulate the amounts a tad if you would like a darker/lighter color)
Need cake ideas for your next bake sale or church auction? Need ideas for the next cake walk at your child’s school? You will be a huge hit with the Pie Cake. I am telling you, it is adorable and delicious!
Thanks again to The Funambulist Damsel for her adorable cupcakes that inspired this yummy cake!