Have you started to think about what Halloween costumes your kids will be wearing this year? I feel like there is so much pressure when choosing the right ensemble. Each year goes down in the history books. I’d hate to see my child suffer as I did the year I wanted to be a mummy and it rained. My son and his BFF started a tradition of wearing his and her costumes. Last year they were dressed at Gnomeo and Juliet. This year I’ve got my eye on some darling duos.
Here are a few tips when choosing costumes:
1. Dress for the weather. Choosing a darling fairy costume complete with tutu and leotard may be the cutest costume you can find. But if you’re planing on letting that little fairy trick or treat in the Minnesota weather, it could be cause for disaster. We’ve seen beautiful Oct. 31st and we’ve seen snowstorms. Be ready for any weather situation.
2. Choose costumes are easily accessible. Little ones often get so excited about all the festivities they can forget about everyday duties. When nature calls you don’t want to have an accident on your hands because you couldn’t get all the pieces of your costume off. Trust me, it’s not pretty.
3. A successful costume makes the child and the parent happy. I have a thing against commercial characters. I’d prefer to see my child in something that reflects his personality. But if he really has his heart set on Spiderman I may not have a choice. The last thing I want to see is a meltdown in the middle of a fun holiday. Luckily we have a Spiderman play costume that may be worn to school and we agreed on a knight together for the big night. Kids, don’t always need, but do appreciate options.
Top Halloween Costume Trends for 2012 via Party City:
1. Monster High
2. Angry Birds
3. Flutter Fairies
5. Gotham City
6. Flash Forward Sch-Fi Glam
7. Color City- All the Colors of the Rainbow
8. Circus Clowns
9. Disney Princesses
10. Gotham Romance
What are your top picks for 2012?